See ‘Informational Handout’ for salary ranges
How to Apply:
Applications are submitted online until Friday, March 22, 2024 at 12:00 p.m. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application.
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Sixty (60) credits from an accredited college or university at the time of application. A transcript must accompany the application showing 60 credits.
-The credit requirement may be waived for applicants who have a current Act 120 certification (MPOETC) or have graduated the Pennsylvania State Police Training Academy. To qualify, a copy of the certification must accompany the application.
-Fifteen (15) credits may be waived for applicants with at least two (2) years of full active military duty with an Honorable Discharge. A DD 214 showing the character of discharge must accompany the application.
- Applicants who meet the above requirements AND possess Act 120 certification or graduated from the Pennsylvania State Police Training Academy will be given preference during the selection process.
IMPORTANT: Any applicant on the current eligibility list must apply again in order to be considered for future employment.
Written Test Information:
- Test Date: Saturday, April 6, 2024
The Sheriff and the Deputy Sheriffs are authorized to make arrests for any and all violations of criminal statutes and ordinances. The Sheriff’s Office is the law enforcement arm of the courts and includes the extradition of prisoners between any other jurisdiction in the United States and Allegheny County. The Sheriff’s Office is responsible for the processing, docketing and service of Civil Court papers, the collection of fees for services, the issuance of licenses to firearms dealers and persons wishing to carry concealed weapons. The Office assists federal, state, city, borough and township law enforcement agencies when requested.
Scope of the Selection Process:
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Test
- Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination
- Panel Interview
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination
- Nelson Denny Reading Test (applicable to eligible applicants who need to attend the Allegheny County Police Academy)
- Entry into the Allegheny County Police Academy, if applicable, to those hired
Link to Informational Handout: https://www.alleghenycounty.us/files/assets/county/v/2/government/employment/documents/informational-handout-county-sheriff-test.pdf
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Allegheny County within 1 year.
Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D